Subject: Re: Call for testers: ACPI suspend/resume, part 2
To: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.ca>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
List: current-users
Date: 12/21/2007 16:19:15
On Tuesday 18 December 2007 21:37:36 Jared D. McNeill wrote:
> Heyas folks --
>
> Now that the power management framework is merged and things have settled
> down a bit, now is a great time for you to provide us feedback on results
> of your suspend/resume tests.
>
> It's really quite simple. Ensure you have a -current kernel from at least
> now or later, and a machine that supports suspend to RAM. Both uni- and
> multiprocessor kernels should work.
>
> Some notes before you get started:
>    * Do your initial tests in single-user mode, to save potential fscking.
>    * If you get an immediate reboot on wakeup (as is the case on most Dell
>      laptops), set the following sysctl:
>        # sysctl -w machdep.acpi_vbios_reset=0
>    * If you do not have video on resume, please install sysutils/vbetool
>      from pkgsrc. The following command on resume should bring things back:
>        # vbetool post
>      This can either be typed blindly, or scripted.
>    * If you can't suspend because a loaded driver doesn't support the PMF,
>      boot into userconf with 'boot -c' and disable those drivers if
>      possible. Even better, send-pr with patches to make them properly
>      capture and restore state.
>
> Alright, now for the moment of truth. Boot single user and execute the
> following command:
>
>    # sysctl -w machdep.sleep_state=3
>
> Good luck!
>
> Cheers,
> Jared

G'day,

I tested it on a Dell Inspiron 9400. It works flawlessly after disabling the
bce bthub bthidev btms btkbd btsco devices. After the initial test in single
user mode, I created the "lid_switch" script for powerd. It suspended and
resumed without problems except for complaining about "fwhohci unrecoverable
error".

Unfortunately, I do need the bce and hence suspend won't be an option for me
at the moment.

Sysinfo:

Dell Inspiron 9400 - Centrino Duo
NetBSD 4.99.42 (GENERIC.MP)