Subject: Re: etcupdate and atf-run.hooks
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/20/2007 09:36:35
On Thu, 20 Dec 2007, Sarton O'Brien wrote:
> Login incorrect or refused on this terminal.
> pam_securetty[344]: LOGIN root REFUSED ON TTY foo
> login: 1 LOGIN FAILURE ON foo
>
> So 'console' has now changed to foo, which is curious and I don't know
> where to change this back. I'd imagine if foo was secure it would log in
> just fine but I haven't tested.

There was a bug in the distributed version of MAKEDEV.local which would
have made it create /dev/foo and /dev/foo1.  /dev/foo had the same
major and minor numbers as /dev/console, which I suspect confused PAM.
The MAKEDEV.local bug was my fault (an example used during testing was
accidentally committed), and I have just fixed it.

Please delete /dev/foo and /dev/foo1; also update to the latest version
of MAKEDEV.local (or just comment out the lines that mention "foo").

--apb (Alan Barrett)