Subject: Re: kde requirements?
To: Sarton O'Brien <bsd-xen@roguewrt.org>
From: Mark Kirby <mark@fishladder.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 12/18/2007 16:31:47
On 18 Dec 2007, at 00:28, Sarton O'Brien wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Just a quick question (please ignore this if you are anti-kde),
> does anyone know if someone is tackling the underlying requirements
> for the kde desktop to completely function on netbsd (be it kde
> devs or netbsd)?

Kde works perfectly fine on NetBSD it doesn't have all the bells and
whistles but is perfectly usable as a desktop.

Is there something you specifically need?

> I'd sooner switch from linux even for at least testing/debugging
> purposes if there_is_ progress being made.

Yes there is. The work that freza@ did for his soc is being
incorporated into some work that cube@ is working on. mjf@ is also
working on a devfs implementation both of which make the hal port
easier. Once those two bits are included in current sources i can
continue with writing the netbsd backend for hal, unless freza wants
to do that too ;)

KDE 4 is currently in progress and preliminary packages are in pkgsrc
wip, that work is being done by markd@

So yes there is work around this area.

If there is anything else you would like to know just shout.

Mark