Subject: Re: Upgrading to different port
To: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <>
From: Manuel Bouyer <>
List: current-users
Date: 12/14/2007 13:05:41
On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 03:08:47PM -0500, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> About a week ago I ws going to upgrade my system from Oct 4 current to
> current current.  Suddenly the CVS updates exploded so I decided to
> hold off until things settled down.  Is it a reasonably safe time now
> to upgrade?  I understand all the caveats with running current so I am
> just looking for known instabilities.
> Also, I am running i386 on an AMD64 box because I needed OpenOffice.
> It seems that that is now supported on amd64 so I was going to go to
> that port as well.  Can I just unpack the sets over an existing i386
> installation or are there deeper changes needed?

I've done this on one or 2 devel system, and it did go relatively well.
I'd recommend booting an INSTALL kernel with embeded ramdisk and use
sysinst to do the upgrade though; switching the currently running userland
may have unexpected issues (I just dropped an INSTALL kernel in / and
booted it)

Manuel Bouyer, LIP6, Universite Paris VI. 
     NetBSD: 26 ans d'experience feront toujours la difference