Subject: Re: acpi overheating
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
From: Chavdar Ivanov <ci4ic4@gmail.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/13/2007 13:41:11
On 13/12/2007, Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 07:16:32PM +0100, Juan RP wrote:
> > On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 17:49:43 +0000
> > Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > It seems that new acpi/powermanagement is not reading temperature
> > > properly anymore.
> > >
> > > After a serious compile, this laptop is too hot for a lap, yet envstat
> > > reads
> > > [acpitz0]
> > >      temperature:     24.000 degC
> > > atactl wd0 smart status reads 37.
> >
> > Do you have both acpiec devices?
> >
> > acpiec* at acpi?
> >
> > and
> >
> > acpiecdt* at acpi?
>
> Yes. Now envstat tells me 26 degC, so the value does change. The laptop
> is too hot to hold, so this is too low. BTW this laptop has happily been
> tracking current for 2 years, so it isn't a special hardware case...

On my HP nx6310 4.99.42 runs actually cooler than before; right now I
am compiling OpenOffice 2.3.1; envstat is reporting CPU temperatures
65 degC. I am also running estd, which has brought down the CPU
frequency to 1333 (from 1667).

> Cheers,
>
> Patrick

Chavdar Ivanov   | Talbot Way, Small Heath Business Park
Delcam UK        | Birmingham B10 0HJ, United Kingdom
Customer Support | (+44)121-6831014