Subject: Re: Add NetBSD RCSIDs to 3rd party software (was: CVS commit: src/sys/dist/acpica)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/12/2007 19:15:03
--yVhtmJPUSI46BTXb

On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 08:43:20AM +0100, Bernd Ernesti wrote:
  | On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 01:16:18PM +0000, Luke Mewburn wrote:
  | >=20
  | > Module Name:	src
  | > Committed By:	lukem
  | > Date:		Tue Dec 11 13:16:18 UTC 2007
  | >=20
  | > Modified Files:
  | > 	src/sys/dist/acpica: dbcmds.c dbdisply.c dbexec.c dbfileio.c dbhistr=
y.c
  | > 	    dbinput.c dbstats.c dbutils.c dbxface.c dmbuffer.c dmnames.c
  | > 	    dmobject.c dmopcode.c dmresrc.c dmresrcl.c dmresrcs.c dmutils.c
  | > 	    dmwalk.c dsfield.c dsinit.c dsmethod.c dsmthdat.c dsobject.c
  | > 	    dsopcode.c dsutils.c dswexec.c dswload.c dswscope.c dswstate.c
  | > 	    evevent.c evgpe.c evgpeblk.c evmisc.c evregion.c evrgnini.c evsc=
i.c
  | > 	    evxface.c evxfevnt.c evxfregn.c exconfig.c exconvrt.c excreate.c
  | > 	    exdump.c exfield.c exfldio.c exmisc.c exmutex.c exnames.c
  | > 	    exoparg1.c exoparg2.c exoparg3.c exoparg6.c exprep.c exregion.c
  | > 	    exresnte.c exresolv.c exresop.c exstore.c exstoren.c exstorob.c
  | > 	    exsystem.c exutils.c hwacpi.c hwgpe.c hwregs.c hwsleep.c hwtimer=
.c
  | > 	    nsaccess.c nsalloc.c nsdump.c nsdumpdv.c nseval.c nsinit.c nsloa=
d.c
  | > 	    nsnames.c nsobject.c nsparse.c nssearch.c nsutils.c nswalk.c
  | > 	    nsxfeval.c nsxfname.c nsxfobj.c psargs.c psloop.c psopcode.c
  | > 	    psparse.c psscope.c pstree.c psutils.c pswalk.c psxface.c rsaddr=
.c
  | > 	    rscalc.c rscreate.c rsdump.c rsinfo.c rsio.c rsirq.c rslist.c
  | > 	    rsmemory.c rsmisc.c rsutils.c rsxface.c tbfadt.c tbfind.c
  | > 	    tbinstal.c tbutils.c tbxface.c tbxfroot.c utalloc.c utcache.c
  | > 	    utclib.c utcopy.c utdebug.c utdelete.c uteval.c utglobal.c utini=
t.c
  | > 	    utmath.c utmisc.c utmutex.c utobject.c utresrc.c utstate.c
  | > 	    uttrack.c utxface.c
  | >=20
  | > Log Message:
  | > NetBSD RCSID love
  |=20
  | This is 3rd party software.
  | Do we really want this kind of change for such a software?

Sure; it allows us to map which particular version of the relevant
files were compiled into the kernel, just like any other source file.
This is especially relevant if we've made changes to the files,
but useful if we haven't.

  | IMHO there is no script, which would add that before 'importing' a
  | new version.

Correct; usually we have "foo2netbsd" scripts often perform the bulk
of the "heavy lifting" of preparing vendor code for import into
NetBSD.

In this case, ACPI-CA doesn't have one; if a new version is required,
we can deal with it then.

Even so, merging the changes between vendor branches isn't that
difficult, and that will retain the addition of __KERNEL_RCSID()
and the /* $NetBSD$ */ comments.  It's not rocket surgery :-)

cheers,
Luke.

--yVhtmJPUSI46BTXb

--yVhtmJPUSI46BTXb--