Subject: Re: 4.99.38 alpha: applications dumping core
To: mel kravitz <melk@switchpwr.com>
From: Johan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Wall=E9n?= <johan.wallen+lists@helsinki.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 12/07/2007 08:31:15
Hello,

mel kravitz <melk@switchpwr.com> writes:

> symlinks are present, /usr/lib/libc.so point to new libs defined by 4.99.39,
> similar for /lib files. I need only install base.tgz from 4.99.39
> release to examine the problem, in the case of firefox i used gdb to
> get the following interesting data:
> casey234: {24} gdb firefox firefox-bin.core
> GNU gdb 6.5
> welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
> conditions.
> This GDB was configured as "alpha--netbsd"..."/usr/pkg/bin/firefox":
> not in executable format: File format not recognized

/usr/pkg/bin/firefox is (typically/always?) a shell script that sets up
a few things and then exec /usr/pkg/lib/firefox/firefox-bin, so the
format is not recognised by gdb.  Is the backtrace (with firefox-bin
instead of firefox) something like

  in pthread_mutex_init()
  from /usr/pkg/lib/libexpat
  previous frame inner to this one (stack corrupted?)

(from memory)?  In that case, there seems to be exactly the same problem on
powerpc (macppc) -- that is, someone is overwriting something in the
stack during dynamic linking.

--- Johan