Subject: Re: Odd dmesg log messages
To: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org>
From: Sarton O'Brien <bsd-xen@roguewrt.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/05/2007 16:21:05
Brian Buhrow wrote:
> 	You're correct if you're still using a raid0a root device.  However,
> if something has gone terriblywrong, and you need to revert to a raw wd1a
> root device, then you'll see this message.

Yep, that makes perfect sense. As Michael said though, the raid actually
has nothing to do with the error in this case as he only uses it for /home.

I guess in this instance it's simply a matter of two identical disks
(possibly from dd) that the kernel is having to decide between, a
situation I've never encountered. Closest thing for me was an overriding
sd0 on umass.

The solution, outside of ensuring the disks don't look identical, is to
use the bootdev=wd0 option with the kernel so that is doesn't have to
choose.

Sarton