Subject: Re: Odd dmesg log messages
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/04/2007 21:36:39
	Hello.  No, I'm not sure that it is.  However, it might be mirrored if
the partition boot sector determines that you're booting from a raid
partition, and looks in the 64 block offset for the beginning of the
bootable filesystem.  I believe the raid label and everything else after
that on the raid partition is mirored.  The reason I saw these messages, I
think, is because I had a pair of raid1 disks where the raid became so
broken for some reason, that it was necessary to boot one of the disks as
if it were just a standard ffs partition.  However, the disk was still laid
out like a raid disk, so the boot block would still load the kernel and all
that. But when it came time to mount the root, the kernel would have to
sort through the two identical disks and figure out which one to set as
root.But, you know, as I think about it, it's possible I'm just talking
through my hat.  I've been using raid1 long enough that I still have
machines with small boot partitions because they were made before the boot
block knew how to load a kernel from a raid1 set.  So, it could have been
on one of these machines that I saw the message.  I do remember that on the
machine in question, the BIOS saw one disk as the primary drive while
NetBSD saw the other as the primary drive.  The underlying issue turned out
to be a driver issue with the IDE driver, I think, but I definitely saw the
message, and it definitely was on a machine with a raid1 set.  It's been
years since I saw the message, and since things were broken in a variety of
other ways, by the time I popped enough other errors off the stack to worry
about the message, it went away.
	Sory for the confusion.  Your explanation makes perfect sense, and it
probably is just a disk which was formatted with dd.
-Brian