Subject: Re: Odd dmesg log messages
To: None <explorer@flame.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/04/2007 20:17:26
On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 12:10:34AM -0000, explorer@flame.org wrote:

> The raid0 messages are pretty obvious.  I have raid0 auto-conf'd
> via raidctl, and I have raid0.conf in /etc.  The WARNING one confuses me...
>
> raid0: RAID Level 1
> raid0: Components: /dev/wd0g /dev/wd1g
> raid0: Total Sectors: 566273088 (276500 MB)
> WARNING: double match for boot device (wd0, wd1)

Two BIOS drives have the same signature because they have exactly the same
contents in their first sectors.  The kernel can't be certain which one you
actually booted from, so you might get / mounted from the other one by
accident.  Typically happens when one clones disks with dd instead of using
the tools to partition them -- the tools write a unique signature into
place...