Subject: Re: locking problem on amd64 (w/ lfs)
To: Andrew Doran <ad@netbsd.org>
From: Sarton O'Brien <bsd-xen@roguewrt.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/03/2007 09:53:26
Hi Andrew,

Andrew Doran wrote:
> This is a bug in LFS. It spends so long traversing mnt_vnodelist and syncing
> all the vnodes that the other CPU gives up trying to acquire kernel_lock.
>
> Workaround: don't use LFS, it will always give you a headache in the end.

Should this be considered a rule until further LFS improvements are made
or is this unlikely to change?

I'm starting to wonder, with all the LFS tweaking required for
performance and then the underlying issues with regards to the above and
trigerable panics using lfs -> smb/cifs,  is it worth using LFS at all?
I'm not sure if I'm seeing the benefits.

Thanks,

Sarton