Subject: Re: clisp problem
To: Current Users <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Chavdar Ivanov <ci4ic4@gmail.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/02/2007 11:51:57
I never got any feedback about the following...

On 13/10/2007, Chavdar Ivanov <ci4ic4@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yesterday I realized maxima had stopped working on my laptop with
> -current as of 08/10/2007:
>
> $ uname -a
> NetBSD lisa 4.99.32 NetBSD 4.99.32 (GENERIC.MP) #4: Wed Oct 10
> 01:37:36 BST 2007  root@lisa:/usr/obj/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC.MP
> i386

I have been able to test clisp on 4.99.30 and 4.99.31 successfuly.
4.99.32 and further stops working with the same error reliably - I
configured a few VMWare machines from scratch to avoid any
interference and built the packages on these (as well as tested
previously built version of clisp).

> Tried to update it, but eventually discovered the problem was with clisp:
>
> $ clisp
> Cannot map memory to address 0xc94d8000 .
> [spvw_mmap.d:359] errno = EFBIG: File too large.
> /usr/pkg/lib/clisp/base/lisp.run: not enough memory for initialization
>
> bt in gdb of
>
> gives:
>
> lisa$ gdb lisp.run lisp.run.core
> GNU gdb 6.5
> Core was generated by `lisp.run'.
> (gdb) bt
> #0  0x080658b7 in regcomp ()
> #1  0x08071167 in regcomp ()
> #2  0x08072d7b in regcomp ()
> #3  0x080f091a in regcomp ()
> ........................ (only regcomp() appears here)
> #11175 0x08096a2c in regcomp ()
> #11176 0x080ead2d in regcomp ()
> #11177 0x080eb257 in regcomp ()
> #11178 0x080ea1e3 in regcomp ()
> #11179 0x08068ad3 in regcomp ()
> #11180 0x08069946 in regcomp ()
> #11181 0x0806a2bc in regcomp ()
> #11182 0x0806a3a4 in regcomp ()
> #11183 0x0806bfe4 in regcomp ()
> #11184 0x0806f8de in regcomp ()
> #11185 0x0804d604 in ?? ()
> #11186 0xbfbfed50 in ?? ()
> ---Type <return> to continue, or q <return> to quit---
> #11187 0x0804d604 in ?? ()
> #11188 0x00000001 in ?? ()
> #11189 0xbfbfed74 in ?? ()
> #11190 0xbfbfed7c in ?? ()
> #11191 0x0804d576 in ?? ()
> #11192 0x00000000 in ?? ()
> (gdb)
>
> so it looks it gets stuck in regcomp() for some reason (this is just running
>  /usr/pkg/lib/clisp/base/lisp.run)
>
> I tried changing data size limit with ulimit -d to the max with no effect.
>
> I will check later the same on a different, slightly older -current system.
>
> Any ideas?

Same question...

I have solved the maxima problem by switching the package to use sbcl
instead, that was no problem. However if one starts from scratch, one
couldn't build sbcl to begin with if there is no clisp... I happened
to have an earlier sbcl working and got the package updated to use
version 1.0.11...

Has anyone been able to run clisp on i386 since 4.99.32?

> Chavdar Ivanov

/dev/random says:
	Remember, UNIX spelled backwards is XINU.
Chavdar Ivanov   | Talbot Way, Small Heath Business Park
Delcam UK        | Birmingham B10 0HJ, United Kingdom
Customer Support | (+44)121-6831014