Subject: Re: umass: Phase Error
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 11/22/2007 07:15:40
On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 05:32:02PM +1000, Daniel Carosone wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 07:44:20AM +0200, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> > It seems to work fine. Mostly. Because when I unmount it, I get an
> > error message (after waiting for a _long_ time):
> >
> > umass0: Phase Error, residue = 0
> > umass0: Phase Error, residue = 0
> > sd0: cache synchronization failed
>
> unmounting is trying to sync the disk cache (DIOCCACHESYNC) and
> evidently the device doesn't support or has trouble with the command.
>
> you should be able to test this while mounted using "dkctl synccache",
> and maybe work around it with setcache (though the device will
> probably fail on those commands too).

# dkctl /dev/rsd0d synccache
dkctl: /dev/rsd0d: sync cache: Input/output error
# dkctl /dev/rsd0d setcache none
dkctl: /dev/rsd0d: setcache: Input/output error

The synccache command causes one
umass0: Phase Error, residue = 0
while the setcache one causes three of them.

Is there a quirk for this or what else can we do about it?
 Thomas