Subject: Re: Huawei E220 support?
To: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
From: Marco Trillo <marcotrillo@gmail.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/16/2007 19:13:39
Hi,

On 11/16/07, John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca> wrote:
> On Apr 8, 10:40am, "Marco Trillo" wrote:
> } On Nov 16, 2007 3:54 PM, Dieter Baron <dillo@danbala.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
> } >
> } > does the Huawei E220 UMTS USB modem work under NetBSD?
> }
> } I have that model; but I have not yet started playing with it on
> } NetBSD. I have however gathered some info and there are reports that
> } it works with the ubsa(4) driver.
> }
> } The problem is that this model has two USB devices: a USB mass-storage
> } device that contains Windows drivers and the actual serial adapter
> } (which should work with ubsa(4)). So if you plug it, it will be
> } detected as a umass(4). To make it work with ubsa(4) you just need to
> } make ubsa(4) recognize it as a supported model (its identifier is
> } already included in 'usbdevs').
> }
> } Perhaps the difficult thing will be configuring PPP to issue all the
> } needed commands for the device to work (send PIN, select UMTS/GPRS/etc
> } network, etc.).
>
>      This can easily be done with a chat(1) script.

Yes, but the problem is figuring out the commands that need to be
issued to configure the device appropriately.

I found this document:
<http://wwwu.uni-klu.ac.at/agebhard/HuaweiE220/>
that, although it talks about Linuxy stuff, it contains some chat
scripts at the 'PPP configuration' section that should be useful.

Greetings,
Marco.