Subject: Re: Huawei E220 support?
To: Dieter Baron <dillo@danbala.tuwien.ac.at>
From: Marco Trillo <marcotrillo@gmail.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/16/2007 16:04:53
Hi,

On Nov 16, 2007 3:54 PM, Dieter Baron <dillo@danbala.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
> hi,
>
> does the Huawei E220 UMTS USB modem work under NetBSD?

I have that model; but I have not yet started playing with it on
NetBSD. I have however gathered some info and there are reports that
it works with the ubsa(4) driver.

The problem is that this model has two USB devices: a USB mass-storage
device that contains Windows drivers and the actual serial adapter
(which should work with ubsa(4)). So if you plug it, it will be
detected as a umass(4). To make it work with ubsa(4) you just need to
make ubsa(4) recognize it as a supported model (its identifier is
already included in 'usbdevs').

Perhaps the difficult thing will be configuring PPP to issue all the
needed commands for the device to work (send PIN, select UMTS/GPRS/etc
network, etc.).

Greetings,
Marco