Subject: Re: 2nd stage boot menu (i386)
To: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 11/14/2007 00:11:03
On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 09:51:00AM +1030, Brett Lymn wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 03:40:18PM +0000, Stephen Borrill wrote:
> >
> > Future improvements:
> > - more interactive menu (I've a tiny curses menu which I could release
> > under a BSD licence and use as a basis - anyone know how about cursor
> > positioning at this BIOS stage?)
> >

> Would it really be necessary to pull in another curses?  At worst what
> you could do is build a mini-curses that uses reach-overs to pull in
> the functionality from libcurses for you.  Most of the interface is
> reasonable modular so you should be able to just grab the core and
> possibly hard-code in a Really Dumb (tm) terminal definition.

I could imagine using something that doesn't attempt any optimisations
- so directly generates are required byte sequences.
It is also worth considering how many terminals still exist that don't
support the ansi cursor movement escape sequences.
(Ok some museums might have at vt52

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk