Subject: Re: i386 MP performance (generic.mp and generic almost same)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@lists.veego.de>
List: current-users
Date: 11/11/2007 18:25:37
On Sun, Nov 11, 2007 at 11:11:12AM -0600, Eric Haszlakiewicz wrote:
> Cem Kayali wrote:
> >I'm sorry to hear i can use only single core especially for compiling
> >pkgsrc
> >softwares...
> >

> Well, actually there are some settings that might allow you to do this.
> On a very granular level, you can set PKGSRC_LOCKTYPE and manually run
> make in multiple directories.  I've used this with some success in the past.
>
> Another setting that I haven't used, but sounds promising based on
> what's in mk/defaults/mk.conf, is MAKE_JOBS, which adds a -j<whatever>
> to the individual package builds.  However, it says it's experimental,
> so I have no idea how well it works in practice.

I tied it but gave up after there were a few packages which didn't work with
it. Hunting down the obvious problems took too much time.

There was also some kind of warning on one of the mailing lists here that
using MAKE_JOBS can result in a package, but the result may not be what you
expect, because a library or any other binary may be miss compiled due too
out of order compiles.

Bernd