Subject: Re: Deprecating SIOCGIFCONF
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.org.uk>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/11/2007 09:38:44
Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.org.uk> writes:

> On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 11:02:48PM +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:
>> Too bad we can't easily deprecate SIOCGIFCONF via some compile/link time
>> message and force conversion to getifaddrs(3).
>
> Can't we? We could write a wrapper for ioctl() which intercepts it.

We could, but that would be runtime, and it would slow down every ioctl
call, but perhaps not enough to matter.

The real work is changing each program, and we already know a bunch of
those: racoon (in-tree), nmap, samba.  When those are fixed and we don't
know of any more, then it would make sense to worry about finding uses
we don't know about.