Subject: i386 MP performance ( and generic almost same)
To: None <>
From: Cem Kayali <>
List: current-users
Date: 11/10/2007 18:05:26

I would like to ask experiences of netbsd-current-users with multi-procesor
kernel. I have core-duo notebook, and am using standart kernel.
dmesg shows i have cpu0 and cpu1.

Tonight, i have compiled generic kernel, and noticed that there is almost no
performance difference... I mean,

- Boot time is almost same (untill kde desktop just loaded)
- KDE performance is almost same (windows startup etc)
- Linux emulation software (Firefox,OO2) peformance (startup time) is same.
- More importantly, compiling a new kernel or compiling a software through
pkgsrc (from source) time is almost same.

Well, i think i should somehow notice difference between generic and kernels...

Sent from the current-users mailing list archive at