Subject: Re: interest in Coherent Remote File System (CRFS)?
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Zach Brown <zab@zabbo.net>
List: current-users
Date: 10/31/2007 16:28:02
Greg Troxel wrote:
> I wonder if they have or are working on a FUSE version.

Nope, though I've given it a teeny bit of thought.  So far the only
client is an in-kernel client for Linux.  A functional FUSE client would
be pretty straight forward.  A FUSE client that performs well would be
another story entirely ;).

> full trying to work on coda.  CRFS feels more like 'better NFS' compared
> to coda's disconnected operation.

That's the general idea.  The performance benefit of cache coherence is
the biggest selling point.  There's a bunch of sugar one would expect
from a modern file system (snapshots, end-to-end checksums, O(change)
incrementals, that sort of thing) that come along for the ride.

So, chew on it for a while, I guess.  I'll make more noise when it's
available, even in a very early unstable form.

- z