Subject: Re: bnx problems with gif
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/22/2007 15:46:02
On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 03:12:31PM +0300, Martti Kuparinen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We replace our "old" firewall (NetBSD/i386 3.1.1 with four Intel PRO
> dual-port cards) with a new PowerEdge 2900 (NetBSD/amd64 4.0_RC3) and used
> the two built-in bnx(4) interfaces together with vlan(4) to configure 8
> networks.
>
> Later we noticed that we lost our IPv6 connectivity, outgoing echo request
> from "ping6 www.kame.net" was visible on gif0 and the tunneled packet
> appeared on the physical interface (bnx0). We also detected the tunneled
> reply packet on bnx0 but the raw IPv6 never appeared on the tunnel
> interface, with or without firewall.
>
> After several hours of testing and head scratching we added one of the old
> dual-port cards and disabled both bnx interfaces in the BIOS, ran
> s/bnx/wm/g under /etc, rebooted and everything worked as expected.
>
> Has anybody else had these kind of problems with bnx?

Martti,

It's intesresting that switching to wm fixes it; John Klos had some
problems with wm and gif.  Google for the thread "wm* hardware assist
breaking gif tunnels" on tech-net; maybe you can reproduce the bug he
describes?  Perhaps its effects are alike to what you see whe you use bnx?

Dave

dyoung@ojctech.com      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933 ext 24