Subject: Re: ntpdate hangs on 4.99.33
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/15/2007 14:18:02
	That almost sounds like some kind of dns issue. Almost as if
libnswitch wasn't timing out and falling to the next lookup type.  What
does your nsswitch.conf look like?  What happens if you put files ahead of
dns for hosts?  Does ntpd then start?  Ntpdate does a gob of host lookups
when it starts, even if you specify only one host on the command line,
because if it can't resolve that, it tries a bunch of poolx.ntp.org host
lookups.

-Brian