Subject: Re: tooldir.NetBSD-4.99.31-i386/bin/nbconfig: not found
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/12/2007 09:51:46
On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, Kenneth Freidank wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2007, 15:32:50 Alan Barrett wrote:
> > You are supposed to tell it, via the "-T" option. If you don't do
> > so, it guesses.
>
> I thought "build.sh" would always use defaults if you did not specify.

Yes, it does use defaults (that's what I meant by "guesses"), but I
recommend always specifying a "-T" option, because the default changes
according to the kernel version, so if you boot a new kernel then you
get a different default TOOLDIR.

> I did not specify the tools directory when I built the release, so
> "build.sh" created a default dir.  I did not specify a tools dir when
> building my kernel (kernel=T5048), so I assumed "build.sh" would use
> the default, but apparently that did not work.

That should have worked, unless something caused the default TOOLDIR to
change.  The first few lines of output from both build.sh invocations
may be helpful in figuring out what went wrong.

> Does anyone know if a similar situation exists with either the "obj"
> (i.e.  -O option) or "destdir" (i.e. -D option) directories?  Must I
> always specify them as well in some build.sh commands?

I always specify them explicitly, because I don't like the defaults.  If
you like the defaults then you don't need to specify them.

--apb (Alan Barrett)