Subject: Re: More netbsd-4 woes
To: Peter Eisch <peter@boku.net>
From: Chris Ross <cross+netbsd@distal.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/10/2007 18:09:19
On Oct 10, 2007, at 16:28, Brian Buhrow wrote:
> 	Hello.  NetBSD-3 used ACPI subsystem version 20040217, or something
> like that.  NetBSD-4 uses one from 2006.  I wonder if it's possible
> that
> NetBSD-4 is trying to use features in your BIOS which aren't
> particularly
> well implemented?  In other words, do you have the latest BIOS on your
> machine?  Many years ago, I used to work on Compaq machines a lot,
> and it
> was common to run into BIOS bugs with various OS's from time to time.
> 	Another thing you might look at, assuming you have the latest BIOS
> available for your machine, are your BIOS OS settings.  Is it set to
> "Windows" or "Unixware" or "other?"
> I'd try booting with this setting on various choices to see what
> breaks
> differently, or, gasp, in hopes that one of them works.

   I have a couple of Compaq i386 machinesd, that have run various
versions
of NetBSD.  I've actually found that "Solaris" works best for me for the
"which type of OS are you running?" for an MP i386 NetBSD.  I'm running
a NetBSD 4.0_RC2 (unless it's RC1) on a DL1850, so much older than
what you have, but it seems to be working alright for me.  Does crash
periodically, but I fear that was because I was brave enough to make
some lfs filesystems.  :-)

                                  - Chris