Subject: Re: Heads up: malloc() changed
To: Andrew Doran <ad@NetBSD.org>
From: Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@lists.veego.de>
List: current-users
Date: 10/06/2007 09:14:54
On Sat, Oct 06, 2007 at 02:49:38AM +0100, Andrew Doran wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just imported jemalloc into -current. jemalloc is a malloc() that's
> designed to work well as a general purpose allocator for multithreaded
> programs. It has been part of FreeBSD for some time now.

Thank you.

> I have tested this on and off for a couple of months on i386 and amd64. Some
> 3rd party programs could fail due to bad behaviour that they got away with
> under the old allocator (phkmalloc). I found 1 instance of this within the
> NetBSD tree - in lint, which is a bit ironic. It's possible that there might
> be some glitches on non-x86 platforms, since they have not been tested.

I saw the benchmarks with it, but can't remember if I saw one where it was
a comparision between the two malloc implementaions. Was there one and how
much did it help?

Hmmm, do we need to bump the libc minor version or is it not needed?
It would help to easily find out if one is using the new malloc and as
you said there are maybe some behaviour changes which may varent that
we bump the version.

Do you have an example of such a bad behaviour?

Thank you,
Bernd