Subject: debugging symbols in kernels
To: NetBSD Current Users <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Chris Ross <cross+netbsd@distal.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/02/2007 00:33:26
   I *know* I should know the answer to this, or be able to easily
figure it out on my own, but it wasn't obvious in my brief looking
through man pages and kernel Makefile's.  Many of the custom kernels
I build automatically build netbsd.gdb files, which have all of the
debugging symbols in it, and are useful when looking at crash dumps.
But, I see that the GENERIC kernels don't automatically build
netbsd.gdb binaries.

   Is there some extra step, or piece in the kernel config file, that
needs to be there to make a netbsd.gdb be produced?  Is the
netbsd.gdb the necessary thing to gdb a crash dump image, for all
architectures?

   Thanks...  Much appreciate any pointers.

              - Chris