Subject: Re: Thread benchmarks
To: Darren Reed <darrenr@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Doran <ad@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/01/2007 14:44:14
On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 10:42:08PM -0700, Darren Reed wrote:

> Andrew, there's a lot of merit in including Solaris10/OpenSolaris
> benchmarks in the
> result as that's where a lot of big databases run today...numbers from
> [Open]Solaris
> are much more relevant in this type of measure than OpenBSD - they're
> only relevant
> if we want to see want NetBSD 2.0 or older was like.

I tried to install S10U2 but my install media are scratched. A few years
back when I installed Solaris x86, the I2O drivers didn't work with DPT /
Adaptec RAID controllers (and I hear that they are slated for removal in
'Nevada'). The machine also has a Compaq RAID controller but from what I
remember swapping the disks onto that means wiping the contents. I will
give it a go when I have some free time.

I also tried Dragonfly but despite hours trying I couldn't get an SMP
kernel to boot on this machine. It's a Compaq DL580 G1.

> In addition to stating the CPUs, can you please include the disk
> configuration info.?

There is some detail in my e-mail to Warner. I'm using single, removable
disks at 80MB/s but it doesn't really matter since the tests I ran were
read-only. A read-write test would be limited by the disk so eventually, all
the systems would likely produce similar graphs. On the other hand, if
someone has an external FC array that they'd like to donate/lend, I can do a
read-write test. :-)

Andrew