Subject: Re: LFS on multi-processor systems
To: Zafer Aydogan <>
From: Brian de Alwis <>
List: current-users
Date: 09/20/2007 10:14:03
On 2007.09.19 11:05:46 +0200, Zafer Aydogan wrote:
> Can you verify that hangs and panics disappear when booting an UP kernel ?

Yes, they disappear even when using a 16k or a 32k block size.
And that's without boosting kern.maxvnodes to 256k (my actual

> But there is one thing I don't understand yet. It is not possible to
> have a constant  writing stream to disk, like during large ftp
> transfers with lfs. It only writes in bursts every 5 - 10 seconds (see
> iostat -w1), which causes the ftp connection speed to stall every 5-10
> seconds (speed is going up and down).  You won't probably notice it on
> a dsl or dial up line, but if you transfer gigabytes through your LAN
> with 100mbit/s you will see.

Blair recently posted some tips to tech-perform.  I haven't tried them
though.  YMMV.

  Brian de Alwis | Software Practices Lab | UBC |
      "Amusement to an observing mind is study." - Benjamin Disraeli