Subject: Re: RAIDframe questions
To: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be>
From: Chris Ross <cross+netbsd@distal.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/19/2007 16:10:39
On Sep 19, 2007, at 14:20, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> IF you have swap configured on the RAID, you must either use
> shutdown(8) or
> unconfigure the swap manually before running halt/reboot(8).
> Otherwise the
> RAID set will be dirty after reboot.  I used to alias halt/reboot
> to "echo
> Please use shutdown(8) instead" or something like that.  But I've
> just made
> it a proper habit to always use shutdown (except when in single
> user mode).

   Okay.  So what are the options for dealing with swap?

   a) Have swap on sd0b or sd1b
	This means it will be "bad" if that disk fails, and I want the
system to keep
	running.  It'll not run at all, right?
   b) Have swap on raid0b
	This means the above issue is in effect, but swapping will work if one
	of the disks fails, and the RAID is running in degraded mode, right?

   There are issues with (b) where it suggests you put a 'b'
partition on the
underlying disks.  Is this for the crash-dump code?  Can crash-dumps not
happen to a raid device?  I guess I need to re-read the aforementioned
document to check, but any comments from those who've been here
before would be welcomed.  Thanks!

                  - Chris