Subject: Re: xen3 on amd64
To: Darrel <levitch@iglou.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/15/2007 17:43:52
On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 11:43:14PM -0400, Darrel wrote:
> Hopefully, this is the correct list for my question.  Currently, I am
> experimenting with Solaris, NetBSD, FreeBSD, and OpenBSD, so probably have
> not spent enough time researching the politics of mailing lists- but I
> have subscribed to this one for the moment.
>
> I have plans to follow these wiki instructions:
> http://wiki.netbsd.se/How_to_set_up_a_guest_OS_using_xen3
>
> To prevent my train from getting lost, does anyone have a warning about
> attempting this on dual-processor amd64?

Exept that you'll have to use the i386 port and not amd64 (NetBSD/Xen has
not been ported to amd64 yet) it'll be fine. Because this is i386, you'll
be limited to about 3GB of physical RAM (more ram won't cause problems,
it'll just won't be used).

> I assume XFree86 is "required"
> to make xen3 work here?  If not, I would rather not install the graphical
> interface.

No, X isn't required.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>