Subject: Re: LFS performance and kern.maxvnodes
To: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
From: Blair Sadewitz <blair.sadewitz@gmail.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/10/2007 21:54:35
On 9/10/07, Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org> wrote:

>On 512MB RAM machines I tend to use 128k as a
> minimum as well.

On my desktop system with 1GB RAM, 262144 seems to yield the best
results for me (I've mainly used untarring pkgsrc as a test thusfar).
At times going higher can help, but that's not that often for me.
Thus, 128k seems like a reasonably conservative default--at least for
machines with lots of memory.

Another thing I was going to propose was setting sysctl.conf defaults
from sysinst using basic heuristics, taking into account [at least]
the amount of system memory and anticipated workload.
We could then use this information to help suggest more intelligent
defaults for things such as base filesystem layout and bsize/fsize,
etc.

--Blair