Subject: Re: Can't find a host.
To: Nguyen, Son N. <>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <>
List: current-users
Date: 09/10/2007 10:38:21
On Mon, 10 Sep 2007, Nguyen, Son N. wrote:

>  I have a DSL and a router to connect to internet. I set
> for my network card.
>  In /etc/rc.conf, I added dhclient=YES and I can browse the web without
> any problem.
>  In /etc/hosts file, I add "  nsl".
> But if I type 'host nsl' it could not find the host:
>  "...not found in 3(NXDOMAIN)".
>  I don't know why? Any one know? Thanks a lot.

The host tool uses DNS (/etc/resolv.conf) and not /etc/hosts file.

Use ping or pkgsrc/net/gethost. Or setup BIND named on your system to
provide DNS for "".

  Jeremy C. Reed

<plug> In a few weeks, the BIND 9 DNS Administration Reference Book will
be available at online book stores with ISBN 978-0-9790342-1-3 </plug>