Subject: Re: Strange instability with -current on port-amd64
To: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/04/2007 18:43:42
On Wed, 5 Sep 2007, Brett Lymn wrote:

> Try disabling acpi and see if it boots - I had a similar problem with
> my Tyan S2895 motherboard.

Hmmm.  I forgot the magic incantation to disable acpi...

>> On the 3rd hand, a custom kernel built from sources updated as of today
>> at 1400 UTC gets to about the same point, but then drops into the kernel
>> debugger at Xlegacy_intr+0x?? (I forgot to write down the number).  The
>> (USB) keyboard is totally useless at that point.
>
> In the bios, try disabling or reserving irq 7.  On my motherboard this
> seemed to be generating spurious interrupts continuously causing the
> machine to keep entering the ISR recursively until the kernel ran out
> of stack and rebooted.  The IRQ may be different for you - you should
> get a clue from the panic as to which one it is.

OK, I tried that and it didn't seem to help.

The exact failure is

 	kernel: double fault trap, code=0
 	Stopped in pid 0.22 (system) at netbsd:Xintr_legacy7+0x2a:
 	    movq   %r15, 0x58(%rsp)

Not sure what process/thread 0.22 is since the keyboard is totally dead.
But based on the message, I'm pretty sure that IRQ 7 was the right one
to disable.

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:   |
| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 |  paul@whooppee.com   |
| Network Engineer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette@juniper.net |