Subject: Re: X11 not building these days?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 09/03/2007 23:31:35
On Jan 24,  7:29pm, Peter Seebach wrote:
} In message <200709040531.l845V02L014198@vtn1.victoria.tc.ca>, John Nemeth writes:
} >     To build X with build.sh, you should be doing,
} >"./build.sh ... -X <path to xsrc> ... -x ... distribution/release ..."
} >If you run build.sh without any options, it will tell what the options
} >are.  Also, BUILDING in the top level src directory explains how to
} >build the system.
}
} I can't find a single reference to X.org in any of this.  I assume

     I don't believe X.org ever got completely integrated with the
build.sh based build system.

} the presence of the xorg source tree implies that it's possible to
} use it, and my mk.conf had "X11_TYPE=xorg" set, so I assume that worked

     With a lot of work.

} Where should I look for documentation detailing the X11_TYPE options?

     I'm not sure where it is documented, but as others have mentioned,
it is for pkgsrc.  X.org in base is being deprecated in favour of
modular X.org in pkgsrc.

} It's not mentioned by build.sh, it's not mentioned in mk.conf(5), and
} I really just can't find any references to it.  I found a recent (August
} 23, 2007) blog entry about using the modular X.org server, which
} referred to X11_TYPE... But I can't find any makefiles or scripts
} which refer to it.

     This is covered reasonably well in the blog entry at
http://wiki.netbsd.se/How_to_install_modular_Xorg .  I don't know where
or if, official documentation is.

}-- End of excerpt from Peter Seebach