Subject: Re: LFS on multi-processor systems
To: Blair Sadewitz <blair.sadewitz@gmail.com>
From: Gary Duzan <gary@duzan.org>
List: current-users
Date: 08/24/2007 07:49:35
In Message <6e9741c60708191653w19e1e50dqad50850d9b7e23e7@mail.gmail.com> ,
   "Blair Sadewitz" <blair.sadewitz@gmail.com> wrote:

=>Just wondering if anyone here uses LFS on an MP system and finds it
=>relatively stable.  I really would like to use it, but a deadlock or
=>other untoward event every ~20 minutes just isn't my thing. ;)

   I'm still having two problems running with LFS root on my -current
amd64 MP system:

1) TIOCPTMGET (ptm) isn't changing the permissions of the devices
   properly when I start xterms. I've been looking into this on
   and off, but so far all I've managed to rule out is some kind
   of kauth problem.  Everything seems to run successfully, but
   the file system never reflects the changes.

2) The pkg database gets into a state where it will hang on a
   seg_iocount lock when trying to delete packages, particularly
   large ones like firefox or thunderbird. I was looking into
   this before, but again wasn't able to see anything wrong.

These indicate to me that there is something fairly subtle going
on in LFS, or possibly that there is something odd going on with
my file system. Other than these problems, it seems relatively fast
and stable.

					Gary Duzan