Subject: Re: support for various wireless cards?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/19/2007 14:36:10
On Sat, 18 Aug 2007, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> On the other hand, it isn't clear me to me that wpa_client supports wpi

I have a laptop with wpi0 at pci1 dev 0 function 0: Intel
PRO/Wireless LAN 3945ABG Mini-PCI Adapter (rev. 0x02).  It works with
wpa_supplicant(8) with both WEP and WPA-PSK.  WEP keys configured via
ifconfig(8) also work.

If you have src/sys/dev/pci/if_wpi.c revision 1.17 then you need
pkgsrc/sysutils/wpi-firmware2 version 2.14.4 (and you already know
about the nasty licence); if you have an older kernel, I think you need
older firmware.  The error message when there's a mismatch is unhelpful
(something about "invalid firmware header" when it means "firmware is
too old").

--apb (Alan Barrett)