Subject: Re: "parked" processes?
To: Andrew Doran <>
From: Brian de Alwis <>
List: current-users
Date: 07/27/2007 22:01:20
On 2007.07.27 23:34:35 +0100, Andrew Doran wrote:
> You need to adjust the max coredump size with ulimit -c. Without looking
> that probably needs to be done in the shell before you start firefox, not
> before gcore.

Oops, how embarrassing.  OK, I've put up a core file at (10MB)

> > Interestingly, running the gcore actually deparked the process and
> > it continued like nothing had happened.
> That's positive in that it suggests there is an undiscovered sync issue in
> the pthread library / kernel. Unfortunatley it also suggests a bug in the
> way gcore works, it shouldn't have visible effects for the process which is
> being dumped. :-)

I've been able to reproduce this several times now.

A more positive spin might be that gcore serves as a workaround
to resume parked processes!

  Brian de Alwis | Software Practices Lab | UBC |
      "Amusement to an observing mind is study." - Benjamin Disraeli