Subject: Re: "parked" processes?
To: Andrew Doran <>
From: Brian de Alwis <>
List: current-users
Date: 07/27/2007 14:29:15
On 2007.07.27 21:12:30 +0100, Andrew Doran wrote:
> A gcore on the process won't kill it but will give you a core file. Please
> let me know if you have gotten a core and I'll give you details of an ftp
> server where you can upload it.

Hmm, I can't seem to do a gcore:

    $ gcore 923
    gcore: ptrace(PT_DUMPCORE) to 923 failed: File too large
    $ df -h .
    Filesystem        Size       Used      Avail %Cap Mounted on
    /dev/wd0a          45G        38G       4.8G  88% /

Interestingly, running the gcore actually deparked the process and
it continued like nothing had happened.

  Brian de Alwis | Software Practices Lab | UBC |
      "Amusement to an observing mind is study." - Benjamin Disraeli