Subject: Re: "parked" processes?
To: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
From: Andrew Doran <ad@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 07/26/2007 11:15:42
On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 11:57:19AM +0200, Alan Barrett wrote:

> > Are you using any plugins with firefox?
>
> Yes, a whole pile of them.

Can you name some of those for me in private so that I can try with them
also?

> > Is there a way to reproduce the behaviour that anyone knows of?
>
> It seems pretty random to me, but perhaps something like this would work:
>
>    * open lots of windows and tabs so firefox is using lots of memory
>      (I often have 30 to 60 tabs open, spread over 5 to 10 windows);
>    * stop touching firefox, but keep the machine otherwise busy for a
>      few hours, so that eventually firefox gets swapped out.

I'll try that.

> Even when everything is working normally, there's always one firefox
> lwp with WCHAN = "-" and STATE = "ZW-" or "ZWL-".  This seems odd.

That's the way thread reclamation works now. At most one deatached thread
will hang around until the process does something that justifies releasing
it - for example, creating a new thread (in which case it can be recycled).

Andrew