Subject: Re: Obsolete files?
To: Johnny Billquist <>
From: Quentin Garnier <>
List: current-users
Date: 07/23/2007 17:58:06

On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 11:58:02AM +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> Quentin Garnier skrev:
> >On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 02:15:16AM +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> >>Why is postinstall listing old share libraries? I don't think it's a=20
> >>good idea to remove old shared libraries.
> >>Can anyone tell me why it's a good idea?
> >>Just upgraded one machine from 4.99.19 to 4.99.24, and among others,=20
> >> came up on my list...
> >
> >It won't remove lib<lib>.major, but removing lib<lib>.major.minor is
> >fine.
> In a way, I'd agree. But if some nuthead links agains an explicit=20
> version of the shared library, things will break for that nuthead. I'm=20
> not sure that's a good idea.

Said nuthead will also have his specific /bin/sh which gets
automatically replaced and so on.

Should we really care about nutheads that are not careful?  You have all
the rights to be a nuthead, but it's either you use medication or you
stay aware that any automated process has a level of expectations about
what it is manipulating.  The user is expected to change stuff in /etc,
not anywhere else.  If he does, he's on his own.

Quentin Garnier - -
"You could have made it, spitting out benchmarks
Owe it to yourself not to fail"
Amplifico, Spitting Out Benchmarks, Hometakes Vol. 2, 2005.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (NetBSD)