Subject: Re: newsyslog and script execution instead of sending signal to process
To: NetBSD-current Users's Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@planix.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/18/2007 14:57:21
--pgp-sign-Multipart_Wed_Jul_18_14:57:20_2007-1

At Wed, 18 Jul 2007 12:29:34 +1000, Luke Mewburn wrote:
Subject: Re: newsyslog and script execution instead of sending signal to pr=
ocess
>=20
> I use it on my NetBSD boxes because I personally can't stand
> the .0, .1, ..., .n naming scheme that newsyslog(8) uses.

That's the least of the failings of the original newsyslog -- the fact
that it has a config file separate from, and not linked in any real way
to, syslogd's config file is its major failing.  Newsyslog really should
extend and use syslog's config file, at least in part.  Without doing so
it doesn't really make the system manager's job any easier.  The fact
that as-is newsyslog can also handle the log files of other tools which
are not integrated yet to use the standard central logging tools for the
overall system is a very small benefit that doesn't really counter the
much larger failings.  (I just thought of a good way to join syslog.conf
and newsyslog.conf though)

It is indeed just about as logical to do away with newsyslog entirely
and simply use a tool like your "logrot" or this newer solaris "logadm"
tool which are both designed from the point of view of using command
lines in a script as their configuration (i.e. instead of using a
separate table or new little language of some sort as their
configuration, even though the solaris one still uses a table of
filenames and command-line options, which is even less useful).

Of course with command lines growing like those you showed there will no
doubt be calls to convert crontab from being a "table" style
configuration file over to being more structure, the worst of which
could be some new XML DTD.  :-)

All that said, newsyslog is still the "standard" way to manage syslogd
files on *BSD systems and since the native versions on each *BSD are
horrid mess of often conflicting NIH feature creep, I'm going to
continue to maintain and use my unified variant of newsyslog and provide
to its users the best of the combined set of features which actually do
something to try to make the system manager's job a bit easier.  :-)

--=20
						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098 W:+1 416 489-5852 x122 VE3TCP RoboHack <woods@robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>       Secrets of the Weird <woods@weird.com>