Subject: Re: envsys framework won't let my system stay up!
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Juan RP <juan@xtrarom.org>
List: current-users
Date: 07/17/2007 13:11:18
On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 06:42:02 -0400
Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com> wrote:

> Juan RP <juan@xtrarom.org> writes:
>
> > I don't see why it's "too dangerous", when you boot with your battery in
> > critical capacity the systems shutdowns.
>
> My system was unusable when there was no good reason, and I had to power
> cycle and then boot single user.  People shouldn't have to put up with
> that (even in current) - what I meant was the the shutdown triggered in
> enough situations where it is harmful that it should be removed until
> there's a clean fix.  I say this partly because I think the right fix
> will be somewhat difficult.

So this is what happens:

- acpibat0 is at 99% charged.
- acpibat1 is at 3% charged (or any capacity in critical state).

The acpibat driver detects that acpibat1 is in critical state and sends a
critical event, powerd runs sensor_battery and it shutdowns the system.

You reboot the system and acpibat1 is still critical, it sends the event
again because the battery is in critical capacity.

If you want to avoid it, you have two options:

- Wait until your battery is somewhat charged (not in critical state).
- Remove the shutdown call in /etc/powerd/scripts/sensor_battery.

Until these problems are fixed. Just curiosity, why did you need to go to
single user? I don't understand that.

--
Juan Romero Pardines	- The NetBSD Project
http://plog.xtrarom.org	- NetBSD/pkgsrc news in Spanish