Subject: Re: 4.99.23 fails to boot on sparc64
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Erik Bertelsen <bertelsen.erik@gmail.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/12/2007 16:05:36
2007/7/11, Erik Bertelsen <bertelsen.erik@gmail.com>:
> > I'm trying to build a GENERIC kernel on the sources of today and will
> > report back if that makes any difference.
>
> Ok, building GENERIC does result in a bootable kernel -- I'll now try to reduce
> GENERIC in several steps to determine why my custom kernel does not boot.
>
> The kernel configuration was originally made as a copy of GENERIC with
> drivers etc. not applicable to my U1 removed.
>
> - Erik

Ok, further experiments reveal that a 4.99.23 kernel compiled from
GENERIC does boot successfully and with that kernel i can build the
tools and further customized kernels.

I then take a copy of GENERIC, removes all USB and bluetooth -- saves
this as U2.
A kernel built from U2 also boots normally.

I then copy U2 into U3 while removing all pcmcia and cardbus. Booting
this kernel gives:

ok boot netbsd.u3
Resetting ...

screen not found.
Can't open input device.
Keyboard not present.  Using ttya for input and output.

Sun Ultra 1 UPA/SBus (UltraSPARC 167MHz), No Keyboard
OpenBoot 3.11, 320 MB memory installed, Serial #8141395.
Ethernet address 8:0:20:7c:3a:53, Host ID: 807c3a53.

Rebooting with command: boot netbsd.u3
Boot device: /sbus/SUNW,fas@e,8800000/sd@0,0  File and args: netbsd.u3
NetBSD IEEE 1275 Bootblock
>> NetBSD/sparc64 OpenFirmware Boot, Revision 1.9
>> (erik@medja.h.erikb.net, Sat Jun 17 22:25:15 CEST 2006)
read header
[c] Loading netbsd.u3: read header
Fast Data Access MMU Miss
ok

As I was too optimistic, I originally did not build U3 but went to U4
which is U3 with IDE, the PCI raid controllers and the floppy disk
removed. Booting a kernel based on U4 gives:

Rebooting with command: boot
Boot device: disk  File and args:
NetBSD IEEE 1275 Bootblock
>> NetBSD/sparc64 OpenFirmware Boot, Revision 1.9
>> (erik@medja.h.erikb.net, Sat Jun 17 22:25:15 CEST 2006)
open netbsd: No such file or directory
Failed to load 'netbsd'.
: trying netbsd.gz...
open netbsd.gz: No such file or directory
Failed to load 'netbsd.gz'.
: trying netbsd.old...
open netbsd.old: No such file or directory
Failed to load 'netbsd.old'.
: trying netbsd.old.gz...
open netbsd.old.gz: No such file or directory
Failed to load 'netbsd.old.gz'.
: trying onetbsd...
Memory Address not Aligned
ok