Subject: Re: Upgrading removes sendmail, breaks system config
To: Pavel Cahyna <pavel@NetBSD.org>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@softjar.se>
List: current-users
Date: 07/11/2007 13:35:43
Pavel Cahyna skrev:
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 01:26:03PM +0200, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 10:51:08AM +0200, Pavel Cahyna wrote:
>>> I agree that mailer.conf should be updated, probably by postinstall.
>>> Though, if nobody does implement it, it won't happen.
>> Automatically switching to postfix may cause very bad surprises as well if
>> you have tweaked your sendmail config to do special things.  I think the
>
> Is the surprise worse than not switching to postfix and leaving the mail
> system broken?

I'd say yes! With emphasis. If someone have configured up sendmail in a
certain way, switching him over to postfix, is like switching him over
to a broken configuration, but one that might appear to work. That's the
worst kind of broken.

>> only reasonable thing we can do is *document* the options so the user can
>> decide for himself which way best suits his needs.  We can make postinstall
>> detect whether sendmail from base is/was being used (by checking whether
>> mailer.conf refers to /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail) and make it scream
>> and point to the documentation?
>
> No, if this situation is detected, postinstall should just make it refer
> to postfix. Anybody can change it later, but this will make mail
> basically work (for cron and so on).

What's wrong with pointing out that the configuration was using
sendmail, and sendmail is no longer in the core system, and that the
config needs to be changed accordingly? Either by switching to postfix,
or by installing sendmail from some other source.

Stop this revolution that seems to be going on!

	Johnny

email: bqt@softjar.se             ||  Reading murder books