Subject: Re: Upgrading removes sendmail, breaks system config
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Pavel Cahyna <pavel@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 07/11/2007 10:51:08
On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 05:10:50AM +0000, Darren Reed wrote:

> On doing an upgrade install, using sysinst, sendmail gets removed but
> /etc/mailer.conf does not get updated, resulting in lots of garbage
> error messages because soemthing cannot find sendmail.
>
> This is bad.
>
> There are two options:
> 1) update mailer.conf to point to the appropriate places for postfix
> 2) do not remove sendmail
>
> In this particular case, I have not done any customisation of sendmail
> or mailer.conf so it should be reasonable for (1) to have been done.
>
> However, if I had of been using sendmail and updating the binaries in
> various places then I would be now quite upset that the had been removed
> and in whch case (2) would be the answer.

As sendmail is not anymore part of the NetBSD base distribution, I don't
think it would make sense to keep it. If you have done customizations of
sendmail and want to keep it, install it from pkgsrc or compile it
yourself and put it in /usr/local, as you would do with any other program
that is not part of the base install.

I agree that mailer.conf should be updated, probably by postinstall.
Though, if nobody does implement it, it won't happen.

Pavel