Subject: i386 -> amd64 build: bad kernel generated?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/18/2007 20:28:01
I'm trying to upgrade an amd64 host from 3.0 to NetBSD-current as of
yesterday.  A build.sh -j4 -m amd64 tools release from a clean tree
on my i386 build host (running current as of about a week ago) yields
a netbsd-GENERIC.MP.gz which:

1) The 3.0 bootblocks won't load
2) objdump -p (on the 3.0 amd64 host) doesn't recognize:

objdump: /netbsd: File format not recognized

3) file(1) thinks is fine:

/netbsd: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, AMD x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, not stripped

config -x, at least, will extract the kernel configuration from this file,
so it's not total garbage.

Can anyone actually generate a valid kernel from an i386->amd64 cross build
of up to date -current right now?

--
Thor Lancelot Simon	                               tls@rek.tjls.com
  "All of my opinions are consistent, but I cannot present them all