Subject: Re: WOL on a Dell PowerEdge 2650
To: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
From: Chris Ross <cross+netbsd@distal.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/15/2007 08:31:19
On Jun 15, 2007, at 12:36 AM, Daniel Carosone wrote:
> you don't want ipmi(4). That's a host os driver to get at the
> management controller on your own host, via IIC.  Clearly, it's only
> useful one the power is on and the host os is up.

   Agreed.  I think the suggestion was that I might be able to
configure the host to react to wake-on-lan by using IPMI while the
host was up...

> You want to talk to the bmc via ipmi from an external host, either
> over ethernet or serial.  The dell boxes usually have a grey "spanner"
> port ethernet nic which does ipmi on ethernet, or can use a serial
> port for this purpose (often both).

   I see that.  There's an RJ45 port with a wrench icon, but I hadn't
yet done the research to figure out *what* that port is.  IE, serial,
ethernet, etc.  I need to look at that.  I know it doesn't show up as
an ethernet interface to netbsd, though.

> This base functionality is often confused with the DRAC card, which is
> often sold as an extra - depending on specific version, that adds a
> webserver with cgi-like access to the ipmi, and remote KVM and device
> redirection.

   Okay.  I haven't looked into DRAC, but I know I don't have an
additional cards in the machine.  Just the "normal" peecee I/O ports,
and the one additional RJ45.

   I should look that up in some Dell manuals.  Web-surfing it is...

                  - Chris