Subject: Re: WOL on a Dell PowerEdge 2650
To: NetBSD-current Users's Discussion List <>
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: current-users
Date: 06/15/2007 00:27:36

At Thu, 14 Jun 2007 12:23:00 -0400, Chris Ross wrote:
> On Jun 14, 2007, at 12:19 PM, Chris Ross wrote:
> > On Jun 14, 2007, at 6:38 AM, Andrew Doran wrote:
> >> Does this system have IPMI? It can be a pain to set up, but once it's
> >> enabled you can use ipmitool to control the power.
> >
> >   Hmm.  I don't know.  But, according to:
> >

> >   It does.  IPMI 1.0, with a SMIC interface, whatever that
> > means.  :-)  I'll talk a look at ipmitool.  Thanks...
>    Ahh.  Oops.  A look at the ipmi(4) man page shows that it
> apparently only supports IPMI 1.5 and 2.0.  Not 1.0.  :-(  I'll poke
> around the net to see if anyone else has IPMI 1.0 support, but it may
> just be something people haven't done...

Interestingly on my PE2650 the ipmi(4) driver (in netbsd-4) will work
well enough for envsys(4) to retrieve sensor data, but only after a soft

There's some kind of protocol muck-up and timeout preventing the ipmi(4)
driver from properly initializing and attaching after a cold boot.

Sadly the BIOS serial console only works (as well as it does) after a
cold boot, but just spews a wee bit of garbage on a warm boot.

I HATE PCs.  They are so stupidly designed, especially in the firmware

Where's this "ipmitool" thing though?  I don't see it in the tree, or
mention of it in ipmi(4).

						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098 W:+1 416 489-5852 x122 VE3TCP RoboHack <>
Planix, Inc. <>       Secrets of the Weird <>

MessageID: reDWPAIHGiEqVb8U+9mYVmfAZYkJTn7M