Subject: Re: IPv6 ifconfig questions
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/07/2007 01:40:14
On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 12:40:00AM -0400, Chris Ross wrote:

>   I had noticed something, long ago, and I think it's still true.  I
> find it somewhat odd, and wanted to ask "why is this?" of people.
> When you ifconfig an additional IPv4 address onto an interface, you
> use the "alias" argument to ifconfig.  And, when you run ifconfig of
> the interface, it reports all additional IPv4 addresses prefixed with
> "inet alias", rather than "inet" which is has on the first address.
> However, if you add an IPv6 alias, it just indicates the new address
> with "inet6", rather than the "inet6 alias" which I'd expect for
> consistencies sake.
>
>   Does anyone else think this is odd?  I'd be perfectly fine with
> the "alias" notion going away from IPv4 addresses as well, but the
> inconsistency between IPv4 and IPv6 addresses on an interface seems
> unpleasant.

IMO, the 'alias' notion should go away, and 'ifconfig wm0 inet
192.168.1.1/24' should not replace any address, but it should only add
an address.  That is consistent with the IPv6 way.  I believe we can do
it that way using less code, too.

Dave

dyoung@ojctech.com      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933 ext 24