Subject: Re: curreent build: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 06/04/2007 08:29:34
On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 12:55:38PM +0100, Matthias Scheler wrote:
> If it fails and random locations and gets a little bit further everytime
> you invoke "make" (or "build.sh") it is almost certainly a problem
> with the memory in the box.

I agree, however I just saw a couple of things that look a little
like memory errors, too.  In a box that's been solid for some time.
I was wondering if it might be related to my aac(4) changes (not
all of which are committed yet) or to something in -current.

A kernel from sources a week or two back paniced sometime last week
with a "bad dir" during the nightly script runs.  I was out of town
and didn't catch just when in paniced.

One build (-U -m amd64 -j2 on /i386) errored out with a problem
looking for and not finding src/bin/rcorder/Makefile (it's in sbin,
and there's no reason I could see for it to be looking in bin).
A subsequent build with the same options went fine--nothing more
than a 'cvs -q up -PdA' in between.  And a third build with the
same options seems to be running OK, too.

So it might still be a memory problem.  I have new RAM arriving
today (the intent being to go from 2G -> 6G and transition from
/i386 to /amd64 on this box).  So I can try swapping out sticks if
I can get to a fairly reproducible error.

-allen

--
Allen Briggs  |  http://www.ninthwonder.com/~briggs/  |  briggs@ninthwonder.com